Household chemicals toxic to cats

Print this pagePrint this page

Liquid detergents

Direct contact with liquid detergents used for washing clothes can prove fatal for cats. International Cat Care was recently contacted by an owner whose four cats were accidently splashed when a bottle of Persil liquid spilled. The liquid caused caustic burns and fur loss on contact with their paws and legs and one of the cats subsequently died despite veterinary intervention. Should your cat come into contact with spilt liquid detergent, quickly wash paws or fur thoroughly with warm water. Seek veterinary advice immediately if the cat starts to appear ill or develop signs of skin injury.

Antifreeze


While many animals find antifreeze sweet tasting, ingesting even the smallest amount can lead to kidney failure and death, especially in cats. Alarmingly, antifreeze has recently been recommended in the media as an excellent product for killing garden slugs and snails with little regard for the lethal effects to pets and wildlife. Antifreeze should always be kept in clearly labelled, robust, sealed containers, away from cats and their environment. Clean up any spills immediately, no matter how small and make sure cats cannot access the area until it is clean and safe.

For more information see our ‘keeping your cat safe’ section.

news date: 

18.03.2013

Translate this page